Friday, May 4, 2012

Tiny Dancer



Confession: I was somewhat of a "dancer" for 10 years. The reason I belittle my role with air quotes is that I completely sucked, for lack of a better word. Seriously. I mean, this is a kid (and now adult) who can't even perform the common, right-of-passage childhood trick of a cartwheel. But it never stopped me from dancing. I kept on tour jeté-ing and chassé-ing my clumsy little body for a decade.  
And I think the reason for my perseverance (besides having quite a few friends in my classes) was my love for the costumes. The sequins, tulle, bedazzled everything--these things alone made dance class every little girl's fantasy. So before you go giving all the credit for ballet's impact on recent fashion trends to the torrid Black Swan, remember that. I believe every Homo sapien with two X chromosomes has a soft spot somewhere for dancer clothes, and just in case I'm correct, here are a few outfits I've put together to satisfy your urge to wear a tutu, all well-balanced in that they have the perfect hints of ballerina. 'Cause let's face it, only Carrie Bradshaw can pull off a tutu. And even she's pushing it.

1. Demi Cropped Graphic Tank, delias.com// Linen Wrap, jcrew.com// Pleated Dip Back Skirt, topshop.com// Ballet Flats, hm.com for locations
2. 81 Hours Grace Bodysuit, mytheresa.com// Sheer Hem Maxi Skirt, topshop.com// Cooperative Applique Flat, urbanoutfitters.com// Bobbi Brown Creamy Lip Color in Pink Ballet, sephora.com
3. Beige Dress, hm.com for locations// Aerie Lace Back French Terry Tank, aerie.com// Kimchi Blue Sweetheart Ankle Tie Skimmer, urbanoutfitters.com
4. Splendid Cotton and Modal-blend Top, net-a-porter.com// Aerie Slim Gym Skinny Pant, aerie.com// Shimmer Skater Skirt, topshop.com// Colin Stuart Patent Elastic Pump, victoriassecret.com// Rhinestone Swan Brooch, forever21.com

And just because you asked so nicely...oh you didn't? Well here you go anyway:
My sister and me before a recital, circa 1996

xo Heidi
[PRESS PLAY: "Midnight City" by M83. Available on iTunes.]

No comments:

Post a Comment