Friday, May 11, 2012

Got It From My Mama

[My mom and me, circa 1992]

Since Mother's Day is on Sunday and she's the woman who taught me how to shave my legs, drive a car, and make my bed (though I don't practice that last routine too often), I think it's imperative that I take this opportunity to acknowledge my mother for all she's given me. From encouraging my lifelong appreciation of The Sound of Music to dropping my forgotten lunches off at school to always lending a shoulder to cry on, my mom has provided me with more than I can express; I truly don't know who/where I'd be today if it weren't for her. Here are a few more things I can thank my mama for...
3. The hand-me-down sundress I'm wearing right now that's so obviously from the nineties--it boasts a midi length and has daisies all over. But everything old is new again, and honestly, I'm pretty sure I saw an almost exact replica at Urban Outfitters recently.
2. Home-cooked dinners for the last 21 years. They not only awakened the foodie in me at a young age (read: my mom is fairly adventurous in her cooking), but now that I have to prepare my own meals, I realize how very lucky I was growing up--and how much time my mom must have spent in the kitchen.
1. Patience and kindness: the two qualities that come to mind at the thought of my mother. She instilled in me the importance of empathy and is always attempting to find the good in others (even nasty past friends and grumpy teachers). 

Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

xo Heidi 

No comments:

Post a Comment