Thursday, February 23, 2012

NYFW '12: Rebecca Taylor-Vivienne Tam

Already shoulder-deep in the fashion shows taking place across the pond, I have yet to finish discussing the best looks from New York's shows. Well, it seems like this is going to be one chic fall!
The final installment of my favorite NYFW trends:
 Rebecca Taylor
[The perpetually feminine Rebecca Taylor continues impress with her understatedly unique pieces. Always wearable but never bland, her clothing stands out with cool details. This season, sheer-paneled slits and fuzz-adorned sweatshirts delight my girlish eye. But what sticks with me most are the perplexing sheer pants layered under shorts in the third picture. A more comfortable alternative to tights, perhaps?]


Suno
[When Rachel McAdams wore this blue dress last year, I hurriedly set out to find who was responsible for such a fun, offbeat look. That's when I first learned of Suno, and the name has been on my mind ever since. And after seeing the label's latest collection, it goes without saying that its designers are the masters of print. Mismatched florals, stripes, or botanical scenes, it's all good if it's Suno.]


Tadashi Shoji
[Having burst into the fashion scene after Oscar nominee Octavia Spencer wore his gowns this awards season, Tadashi Shoji didn't hurt his newfound popularity with his recent fall runway show. Emerald sheer, two-toned tulle, gold glitter, and floral silk all sashayed down the catwalk ready to be worn to the next big awards show (Oscars, maybe?)--you would never guess the maker was fairly obscure until now.]


Thakoon
[If I had to describe Thakoon's fall line using only one word, it would be "fresh." With the models' clean makeup (save for bold red lips), the shiny red and black fabrics, and the minimal accessorizing, Thakoon makes being chic look so easy. But my favorite part of the new collection is the 3/4 sleeve sheath dress (1st and 3rd pictures). It calls to mind the mid-20th century but at the same time looks so untried and original.]


Tory Burch
[Sometimes I fear aging; not for typical reasons like wrinkles and menopause (hey, I can say "menopause" on here if I want), but because I'm afraid I'll have to forfeit stylish dressing. But Tory Burch proves that is surely not the case. She clearly doesn't design for a set age group, because I fell in love with each one of her pieces as a 20 year-old--everything from the tight plaid trousers to the chain-strap, flower-adorned purses--but I can also see myself wearing the same ensembles when I'm forty.]


Tracy Reese
[Wow, does this woman have a way with color! Turquoise and purple, orange and gold, green and royal blue, she somehow assembles her pieces to make any combination work. Another relatively wearable line, I can see myself wearing her t-shirt/skirt combos with flat sandals to class and with heels and added jewelry at night. Bonus: with hues this bright, my friends would never lose me in a crowd.]


Vivienne Tam
[Whether the task is creating a party-ready LBD or a lazy Sunday brunch outfit, Vivienne Tam is up to it. She can make sexy, slinky gowns with cutouts along the torso and soft, printed sweatshirts look equally appealing. Right now, though, I'm really just wishing I could crawl into those loose gray trousers, a much more polished alternative to my uniform of sweatpants.]

xo Heidi

[PRESS PLAY: "Through the Dark" by Alexi Murdoch. Available on iTunes.] 





No comments:

Post a Comment