Monday, February 27, 2012

Best Looks of the Oscars 2012

[Rooney Mara contrasted her signature black coif with a dainty white gown by Givenchy.]

Oh, how I love Oscar Sunday! I've been watching the awards show for as long as I can remember, and as an avid lover of cinema, there's something so beautiful and mesmerizing about the coming together of absolutely everyone who takes part in the creation of a film. The glamour, the talent, the prestige, Billy Crystal... I could go on and on. But since this happens to be a fashion blog, I'll stick to covering the sartorial arena of this alluring evening. The Red Carpet arrivals went on for about 3 hours, but I was able to narrow down my favorite ensembles to a simpler fifteen. Here they are!

15.
Stacy Keibler in Marchesa
[I loved this dress when I saw it on the runway a couple weeks ago, and I love it now. This is an Academy Awards dress--it just oozes glamour and Old Hollywood with its formfitting shape and golden sheen.]

14.
Kristen Wiig in J. Mendel
[Who knew such an intensely silly lady could pull off such delicateness? And I have a lot of respect for someone who doesn't overdo the glitz on the Red Carpet; her writing chops speak loudly enough that a pretty, understated gown sufficiently impresses.]

13.
Sandra Bullock in Marchesa
[The second Marchesa creation on the list--what can I say? The fashion house truly knows how to design for such prominent events--it was the draped back and stark black and white contrast that drew me in. A unique gown for a unique talent.]

12.
Octavia Spencer in Tadashi Shoji
[I don't know what I'm a bigger fan of: Octavia's loyalty to this up-and-coming brand or her endearingly emotional acceptance speech. But I do know this Best Supporting Actress dressed the part for her shining, rightful win.]

11.
Maria Menounos in Maria Lucia Hohan
[Although she was a mere correspondent on the Carpet, she could have easily passed as a leading lady due to her ethereal, Grecian-style gown. Maybe I'm a little biased; it reminds me of my prom dress! But rest assured, Maria looked much more brilliant than 18 year-old me.]

10.
Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford
[Only Gwyneth can look so amazing in something so basic. Her flawless figure was perfectly flattered in this minimalist design, allowing her natural beauty to do the talking.]

9.
Natalie Portman in vintage Dior Haute Couture
[Last year's Best Actress winner chose a quintessentially "pro" gown. And by that I mean an effortlessly chic, been-there-done-that, I've-been-doing-this-for-years kind of a gown. An easy down-do and an uncomplicated black box clutch complemented her darling vintage dress.]

8.
Meryl Streep in Lanvin
[It would feel wrong to list the night's best looks without mentioning screen legend and the year's Best Actress Meryl Steep. And she has every right to be on this line-up; she wore an age-appropriate gown that sacrificed none of the gold, glitter, or charm.]

7.
Emma Stone in Giambattista Valli
[I do love me some Emma Stone. Always dressing elegantly and beyond her years, Stone chose a deep pink, high-neck gown for the big night, exhibiting that at 23, she'll be one to watch for a long time (on the Red Carpet and the movie screen).]

6.
Kate Mara in Jack Guisso Couture
[Best Actress nominee Rooney Mara's sister Kate showed up dripping in pale pink beading and embroidery. The color and shimmer ideally accompanied her strawberry strands and fair complexion.]

5.
Rose Byrne in Vivienne Westwood
[The oh-so tiny Rose Byrne stood out in this black sequinned stunner despite her petite frame. The Bridesmaids star's bold gown and blunt bob worked together to develop a subtle 20's throwback. Almost 100 years away, the Roarin' 20's are ironically very now.]

4.
Jessica Chastain in Alexander McQueen
[If this woman doesn't make you wish to become a redhead, I don't know who will. The gorgeous actress offset her ginger locks with a black and gold confection by Alexander McQueen. The embroidery, the loose waves, the sheer train... She got it all right.]

3.
Berenice Bejo in Elie Saab
[The Best Supporting Actress nominee's minty dress was almost as fun and fresh as her role in The Artist. The intricate lace details and long sleeves (surely the work of Elie Saab) combined with her red-brown hair made for an exquisite sight on the Red Carpet.]

2.
Michelle Williams in Louis Vuitton
[An extremely close second, I absolutely adored Michelle Williams's bright red dress. So pretty, cute, and somehow gamine, it perfectly fit her quirky sense of style. My favorite features: the peplum bodice and tiny bow pin.]

1.
Rooney Mara in Givenchy
[Although she missed out on winning the Best Actress Oscar, Rooney Mara was #1 in my eyes. Claiming to have picked her sweetly sultry gown only this morning, she somehow looked like she was born to wear this dress. The white in juxtaposition with her dark bangs (in further juxtaposition with her blood red lips), the plunging neckline, the sheer straps--I can't pick what I love most about this look. It all works together faultlessly. But maybe it's the girl who makes it work; I am undeniably falling in love with Rooney's dark elegance. I think one of the Carpet correspondents said it best when they likened her to a "gothic Audrey Hepburn."]


xo Heidi
[PRESS PLAY: "Lovers in Japan" by Coldplay. Available on iTunes.]

No comments:

Post a Comment