Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rooney & the Red Carpet

                    
Top, Left to right: Calvin Klein Collection, Roksanda Ilincic, Valentino.
 Bottom, L-R: Louis Vuitton, Givenchy Haute Couture by Riccardo Tisci.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo should from now on be referred to as The Girl with the Badass Style, because ever since I started seeing more of Rooney Mara on the red carpet, I also started wishing I too had a severe black haircut I could pair with confections as daring as these.
The critically acclaimed movie that shot her into the spotlight only came out a month ago, but Mara is already my new Hollywood fashion idol, with a style that can only be described as killer (no pun intended). Although she chooses to sport anything from minimalist jumpsuits to lacy, long-sleeved gowns, she proves that a gal doesn't need color to make a statement. Black, white, and gray make up Mara's go-to palette, but she still manages to be the most boldly dressed one at an event. And moreover, her limited use of color allows the decision to wear a bright scarlet stunner to be all the more unexpected and cherished.
I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (and read the book), and to be honest, I loved it. I really hope the next two books are converted into films as well. But to be even more honest, the main reason I'm rooting for a sequel is so that I can see more of Rooney Mara on the red carpet.

My Top 3 Favorite R.M. Looks
3.
 [ Jumping on the two-piece dress trend, Mara obviously pulls off this Miu Miu ensemble. Talk about making a girl wanna get on the elliptical. ]


2.
[ This exquisite silk crepe selection by Prabal Gurung was the first Rooney dress of many to catch my eye. Ethereal yet sultry, the dress hooked me with its line of buttons against a nearly bare back. Be still, my heart. ]


1.
[ I was a bit unimpressed by the fashion line-up at the Golden Globes this year (then again, the actresses were there to support their amazing films, not satisfy my thirst for sartorial eye candy), but this dress surprisingly saved the show for me. I say surprisingly because I'm normally bored by black gowns at awards shows--I see them as a cop-out. But the simplicity and downright prettiness of this Nina Ricci one paired with Mara's gorgeous eyeliner forced me to surrender this old hang-up. ]

xo Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment